Wednesday, August 15, 2007

keep it real? pt. 2

First of all, Happy Birthday Dad! I'm glad that you were born! And I'm glad that you were pro-life. That worked out really well for me. ok...
Remember this blog? Well I was thinking about it today.

Every so often I meet people who are Christians. They may or may not know that I am a Christian when they meet me. A conversation might go like this:

Random Guy: Yea, I'm a Christian, but don't worry; I'm the cool kind.
Greg: What do you mean?
Random Guy: Just that I can go out and drink and have fun and stuff and I'm not super religious.
Greg: oh ok.
Random Guy: But I'm still a Christian, you know. It's just not about rules and stuff; it's about love and tolerance.
Greg: I see.
Random Guy: St. Francis of Assissi said, “Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words.”
Greg: It's a good quote.


And it is...but there is a small problem. Let me share with you a conversation I had recently with a girl.

Random Girl: So yea, I'm a Christian.
Greg: Oh yeah?
Random Girl: Yea, I was a pastor's kid and I accepted the Lord when I was 5.
Greg: Wow. That's really young.
Random Girl: Yea, but I've grown up since then.
Greg: No doubt.
(another random guy walks up)
Random Guy (to Random Girl): Hey! Where have you been? Why didn't you come out drinking with us last week!
Random Girl: Oh! Well, I've been working a lot!
Random Guy: Well what about tonight?
Random Girl: I haven't gotten drunk with anyone in a while....
Random Guy: Really? When was the last time?
Random Girl: Ok well it was actually two days ago.
Random Guy: Oh. Well you should come out with us tonight!
Random Girl: I'll let you know. (random guy leaves.) Yea.....
Greg: Yea....
Random Girl: You probably didn't want to know all that, huh? Too much information?
Greg: No, I think there are still some informational gaps actually.
Random Girl: Well, I'll fill you in. I know sometimes its wrong to live the way I do. But I'm still a Christian, and that's still a big part of who I am. I guess my witness isn't that strong right now, but I think if people see that I'm real when i'm making mistakes; they'll see that I'm real when I'm not.
Greg: I see
Random Girl: I've only been here a few months; I haven't really met anyone I click with who doesn't go out drinking.
Greg: I understand. I think it's wrong to drink, but I personally don't do it. I've met a lot of Christians since I moved here; and a lot of them drink. It's kind of tough to be social go do what everyone else is doing. And it's lame to just sit there sometimes...

And without giving you the rest of the conversation; I think I just understood that people (not just Christians) have a strong need to connect with other people. And I guess it's more enticing and easier to sell to someone "Hey, I'm just like you!" "I'm just like everyone else!" instead "Hey, I'm different." And both statements are true. But for a Christian, the difference can be tough to decipher unless you live a certain way.

That's why the quote from St. Francis can be a problem. If you were to just look at my life; you don't always see the gospel. Often, you will see an insanely imperfect idiot (alliteration!!!, I think....maybe assonance...) trying to fit in and trying to figure things out.

Here's a quote from my friend Claire:
"yeah, I'd rather be the dork that tries to follow Jesus than have people resent me for saying I'm a Christian but being ok with sin in my life."

For some reason, that statement really made me think. Where am I at on this? Is it more important for me to be socially relevant? or am I ok with being a dork?

No comments: