Sunday, July 8, 2007

Catching Up, Checking In, Keeping In Touch

I am up late. It seems to be the prerequisite...

So, I was just thinking about some things. I am moving into a new apartment in the near future with two other guys that I've gotten to know recently. This will be my first time living with other guys since College. And it's different than living at home with your parents and sister I'd say. But in some ways it's similar. It's been a while since I've had to share a space with someone in that manner. So my relationship with these two guys will change considerably.

I've noticed a pattern in a lot of my friendships as it goes on a regular basis. I'll see them or talk to them, and it's usually "Hey....how's it going?....yea? that's cool....So....anything new?......oh ok.....well here's what's going on with me.......yep.....oh ok so what else is going on?.......same here......well, talk to you later." And that's how my conversations have been going. It seems like all I do is catch up with my friends. It's just a series of keeping caught up. So when I think about it; rarely am I actually going through life with people; it's like I just keep running into people at various times. A series of intersections. even if they are repetitive intersections...even if they are once a week....by the nature and definition of an intersection, it's still different directions. Just people I seem to pass by while I go through life...

It seems like I am never really around people long enough to enjoy a journey together; or if I am; I am enjoying it long enough to realize that one or both is on a wrong path. So, it's a ritual of connecting and then disconnecting. Sometimes by necessity and then sometimes by habit. But ultimately, my friendships miss something because there are no common experiences. Getting caught up seems to mean you tell each other what they've missed; but the point is; that they've missed it; or you've missed whatever has been going on with them.

Sometimes I feel that my relationship with God is the same way. I am only running into Him long enough to try and get caught up. I may see him on a regular basis; but it's only to just keep in touch and stay informed. "What's going on? oh well here's what's going on with me, God....oh while i'm talking to you, could you.....?....ok, well talk to you later!" And somehow I must be missing something. I think that I often just keep in touch with God but I forget to share experiences with God. Or maybe just experience God Himself.

When I was in college, I lived in the dorm and I was really familiar with my roommates. I knew their schedule. I knew what they were up to. I knew who they were talking to, and what was on their minds. I knew their concerns. Their habits. Their dislikes....because I was always around them; always in their presence. So I never really had to get caught up with them; it was never just information exchange once I got to that point. Then I just was living life with them and experiencing being their roommate and friend.

So this is something I need to do in a lot of in relationships but especially with God. Move beyond a series of intersections and look for a chance to be on the same road.

Do you know what I'm talking about?

No comments: