Saturday, June 23, 2007

Journey is Irrelevant without Destination

So it's been a week since Bonnaroo. I have yet to blog about it. I can't give a really good play-by-play. I was sick the whole time I was there. So that was annoying. Let's see, so I was working the gate for a 12 hour shift. The deal was that after the shift, they would give us the admission bracelets that we'd need in order to get into the center area where all of the stages and tents were located. Well my shift was over at 8pm and Mute Math was playing at 10. So I thought it would be plenty of time to make it back. Actually, I did not get back to my camp site until about 9:15 or so. Now, it's about a 25 minute walk or so from where we were to the stage. And they still were late with the bracelets. So I was agonizing. By about 10:05 I still didn't have the bracelet. Then I could hear them playing off in the distance. I couldn't stand that I could hear them playing but couldn't go see them, so I decided that I was just going to go sneak in. Somehow. It was an act of desparation. I just walked towards the music. I cut through campsites and walked through people's areas. Didn't use any of the marked gravel roads. I then somehow was able to find an area that was not heavily guarded that led me to a dark and unlit road that led to the area behind the stage and I found an opening in the fence and just walked in! It felt exhilirating. haha, anyway, so their show was great!

Afterwards, I tried to get back to the campsite. I say that I tried because I just couldn't do it. Keep in mind, that I just worked a 12 hour shift and then I hustled across to the show; and then I didn't use any roads or landmarks to let me know how to get back, so I was completely lost. My legs were starting to cramp. I stopped to ask for directions. However, in my ignorance I had indicated the absolute wrong place on my map to get directions to. So the lady actually told me how to get to the spot on the map furthest away from where I wanted to be. I didn't know this at the time. So as I was lost at Bonnaroo, I had a great deal of time to think about things.

One of my friends once told me that I told her something that she really appreciated and had told all of her friends. Basically what I said was to "Seek God, the journey is irrelevant." I didn't think this was a big deal at the time. However, I said this because a lot of the time I think about how so much emphasis is placed on the journeys of life and making sure you don't miss the here and now. And not to miss all the daily intricacies of life. I think that sometimes I agonize over whether God wants me to go here or there or do this or that. But one time, my friend Jason told me to just seek God, and not seek a job or career or girlfriend. This was many years ago. I guess I had adopted that into my thinking. Well anyway, at some point I had moved away from this, hoping that I could finally focus on and enjoy life and not stress over seeking God. But this is wrong. The more I think about it...you can't just live...or just be...unless you have something to shoot for. Something to set your sights on....a destination.

I had the wrong destination that night. So all of my walking was taking me nowhere. It was painful. But when I finally figured out where I was supposed to be and where I was going, those first steps were hard, but as I neared my destination; I became a little more energized. I sometimes think about a long road trip. As I get closer and closer to my destination, I start to get excited. I start to anticipate how great it will be to finally get there. All of the things I'll do there. I think that if you set out just to go somewhere without a destination in mind, you might as well stay home.

I think if we focus only on the journey, we lose something. Something that makes the journey more bearable. That something is hope. Hope gives a journey purpose. Anticipation of better things when the journey is over. Or anticipation of a new journey to begin from your new destination. But even in that case, a new journey has to lead to a new destination. Anyway, i'm rambling about some things I was thinking while I was wandering aimlessly throughout Bonnaroo that night.

So yea, the next day I finally got bracelets; and I saw a lot of great bands and DJs, made frequent stops to the portable toilets, was offered a lot of pot; and saw a moderate amount of nudity. I think the highlight for me personally, was to see The Roots. That was amazing. Sorry to all of you Police fans.

What else? The show I played recently with 2'Shon went very well. I am very excited about next week at Cornerstone. Not only for that but to also be in the band with Spoken Nerd. His music with a live band sounds excellent. I am somehow very fortunate to be a part of all this. After next week, I wonder how i'll get my fix.

Alright, that's how things are going with me lately.

No comments: